“Technology is a useful SERVANT, but a dangerous MASTER”
-By Crystal Lewis long.
In this era of technological advancement, the inventions are happening in short span of time. What you know today will be considered obsolete in few days, it is paramount to remain update with technological advancement and to know about its usage and threat. During this pandemic i.e., COVID-19 most of the people have explored the Internet, not only for updating themselves about the situation of COVID-19 all over the world, but also for their education, business, communication and much more, which has increased the risk of online fraud. Although it is an effective way to impart knowledge to the students, but educators, students, parents need to be aware about the tips and tricks to be taken into care while working on Internet for their purpose.
Internet and education:
Nelson Mandela once quoted that“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”But after the experience of COVID-19, I think education and Internet both are working hand in hand to not only change the world but to make it much more better platform for experiment, innovation and transition in all the fields where human intervention is possible. So, we need to aware the each and every person using internet services about how to make it much more effective.
Tips to be a good digital citizen:
- Do not post any information, pictures etc. which you think should not be seen by parents, family members, friends, students, parents, colleagues, etc. So as to protect your digital reputation.
- Be and make others aware about Internet usage, discussed the updates, rules and regulation about internet policies in your country with your family, students, colleagues etc.
- Give room for everyone so that they can openly share their issues regarding cyber bullying and how to deal with it.
- Educators and school can use virtual tour to enhance their student’s thinking and encourage them to think beyond imagination. Some of highly interactive virtual field trips which can be use are Google Earth, Google Art and Culture programme etc.
- Netflix is another effective tool for imparting education as there are number of educational shows which can be watched by student, e.g., Just in Time, Little Einstein, Brain Games etc.
- Update yourself and others about new privacy settings to make usage of internet a happy experience.
- Openly talk about cyber bullying, cybercrime, and its consequences so as to make them aware about right way to use internet.
- Protect your private information and communicate respectfully with everyone.
- Student and parents should be made aware what to share on internet as it remains permanent on google.
- Digital etiquette should be taken into practice by every internet user.
- Online transactions should be performed on trusted and verified sites, under adult supervision.
- Parents should be made aware to use the feature of Children lock available in there mobile set as it can reduce the risk of cyber crime, sexting and other unwanted material. So as to keep their child’s digital world safe from the dark side of the internet.
Stephane Nappo has rightly quoted, “Technology trust is a good thing, but control is a better one.”
It is our responsibility to practise good citizenship etiquette to make usage of technology a fruitful experience for all. As encountering a Giant strides in technological development, we as educators have huge responsibility on our shoulder to not only empower our youngsters to be resourceful for our country, but also use technology safely, delightfully and have an unflinching experience.